June 30, 2008

Can we pay for this in Euro?

It’s official. I’ve finished my first year as a school teacher. It was a long, strange trip to say the least. The last few weeks, my students have been obsessed with this song by Timbaland, called Apologize. I don’t know if it’s popular in the US, but it is crazy popular here. I can’t tell you how many people (young and old) have asked me what hanging off a rope or apologize means in Albanian. So as a goodbye present, I printed the lyrics for each of them and we played it on my iPod.

Now I have to admit, this is not a favorite song of mine. Maybe it’s because I hear it being played on the cell phones every day in class, maybe because it is crooned to me at every restaurant in town, but I have a great amount of hate for this song. So I spent my last five classes of the school year listening to my students sing along at the top of their lungs. It was a great moment for the kids, but by the fifth time it was played in one class. I gotta admit. It was definitely too late for Timbaland to apologize.