March 11, 2009

The No Electricity Blues

Today I got back from school around 3:30 and there was no electricity. Last year, I wouldn’t have blinked an eye, but we have had pretty stable electricity since last November. Sadly, we still have occasional black outs. I settled into my electricity-less existence and warmed up some vegetable soup on my little camp stove. Then I tried to get caught up on emails until the battery died on my computer. I put clothes into the washer, but couldn’t turn it on. I straightened my house and then it started to get dark. Grabbing my head lamp, I curled up under the biggest blanket you’ve ever seen and read for about an hour or so. As the darkness deepened, I noticed that my neighbor’s lights were on. Hmm. While it is possible that they recently purchased a generator, it’s unlikely. Eventually convincing myself that this was worth investigating, I left the warmth of my blanket and realized that somehow the breaker had flipped. We were not under a blackout and the rest of Kavaje had been experiencing an electric evening. Sigh.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't stop laughing...I am sorry....perhaps I should not be laughing at your misfortunes....but I just can't help it. I do love you dearly!!!!

kenji said...

That happened to me a couple of times too.

grandma said...

Ahhh - that's my girl!!