August 21, 2007

Random Thoughts on Albania

August is the June of America. It is around the clock weddings. All of the Albanians who have emigrated to other countries (mostly Italy, Greece, and the US) come home to relax on the beach, visit their family, and get married. There are a couple of Albanian wedding traditions. First, they play music and dance well into the night. They drive through town in decorated cars honking their horns. When I walked to coffee yesterday, I passed two wedding processions and saw four cars being decorated in preparation. Although I love all the joy and happiness, I will not be sad when my town quiets down a bit.

I had parent/teacher conferences at the summer school in Albanian. It actually went pretty well. I had the school director there who can speak some English so if I was missing a word, she could supply it for me.

I saw a bear on the beach. This guy was leading it on a leash. Another friend of mine saw a guy with a big snake so apparently, animals on the beach are quite the Albanian trend.

My parents are coming to Albania on September 1. I couldn’t be more excited… Now I just have to make some exciting plans for them

I saw how roasted sheep entrails are made. I’m not making this up, but my host mother hung the raw entrails on the doorknob and braided them in preparation. As if I needed more reason to avoid this delicacy

I got proposed to. The kid is 13 so it’s unlikely that it is a match made in heaven. I told him he was too short for me so now every day he stands next to me to show me how much he’s grown… it’s so cute.

It’s still pretty hot here, but nothing like it was about a month ago. So it’s definitely bearable.

Thanks to everyone who emails, sends pics, letters, and packages. It is awesome to hear from you all.