August 03, 2007

Shkojme ne Party

I went to the local high school’s graduation party which is the equivalent of our prom. It was quite an experience. I mean where else can you dance to traditional Albanian folk music complete with live clarinet, singer, and circle dancing and then next song be dancing to some dirty American rap song. Whenever I hear rap, I’m just happy that very few kids know enough English to understand slang. The songs that they were playing would never have made it to an American prom, but I was probably the only one there who understood why.

Everyone was really dressed up and looked beautiful. The guys all had suits on and the girls were all in super flashy, sparkly dresses. It was great to watch. I was way undressed because I definitely left all my prom dresses at home. I’ll have to get my parents to bring me a better outfit for these types of things.

The party started at 9 o clock and we got served dinner at 12. Then at 2, they served another round of meat. Which was exactly what I was hungry for at 2 in the morning. I stayed until 3:30 and the party was still going strong. I have no idea how late they were out, but this little teacher was tired.

In other news, the heat wave is over. According to the news, it hit 107 in Kavaje. I’m not sure if it was really that hot, but it was pretty miserable here. Especially since electricity is usually out for 6-8 hours a day so no fan. Even at 10 o clock at night outside it was still just sweltering. Thankfully, temps have ulued and it is much more pleasant here this week.

No comments: