September 17, 2007

Are you digging it?

So it has been a while since I’ve written, but I’ve had a busy tail end of summer. I have a bunch of things to write about, but I will probably break it up and post a few thing in the next few days. The most exciting thing was that my parents came to visit. It was great to have them here and to show them Albania. They had a great time and we got to see a lot of the country.
A brief summary of their trip. They rented a car so we were able to jump in the car and travel to all sorts of cool places. It always surprised me how fast we got places because I travel by bus and furgon (like a station wagon that take people to nearby towns.) When you don’t have to stop every five minutes to pick up people, it takes a lot less time to get places. They got to meet a bunch of my closest friends here (Albanian and American.) They realized that Albanians are really friendly and that PCVs are not all crunchy granola types.
It was funny when my parents met my host mom. She is an older lady who can’t speak any English so I was translating for them and my dad was being bad and kept making jokes to me and I was laughing and she kept asking me "What’s he saying?" It was stuff that I wouldn’t translate even if I could. At the end, he gave her the traditional Albanian goodbye (a kiss on both cheeks) and said on one cheek "Lord bless you" and on the other "Go Eagles." I was cracking up laughing, but couldn’t even begin to explain what he had said.
My mom had a great line about what you can’t post in your blog, but since this is the blog I can’t post it. Ask her what it is. You may be shocked.
It was great to have them here. They got to see a great cross section of Albania. Small towns,a big cities, the mountains and the sea. Thanks to people who sent me presents by way of my parents. I loved everything that they brought me. My favorite present was the Starbucks coffee press that my sister sent me and a bag of coarsely ground coffee (for using in the coffee press.) I haven’t tried it out yet, but I’m already excited for my American coffee.
I have to say though. I stopped by a place in Tirana which is run by Americans and has American coffee. The coffee wasn’t great. It tasted really weak to me. It is just a little bit possible that I will come home and only be able to drink Starbucks because the other stuff is just too weak after my two years of espressos. Speaking of espressos, before drinking her first Albanian espresso, my mom said "Can I drink two?" I was a little surprised because I can’t down two in one sitting. But said "Sure, go ahead" After she got through half of it, she realized that there was no way she could drink two. She graduated to cappuccinos which come with more milk and usually whipped cream. She was happier with that then two espressos.

1 comment:

Cinzia said...

I am so glad that you are posting again! I can't wait to read more. I would have loved to see your mom after 2 espressi!