September 19, 2007

The End of Summer

I finished my last few summer courses. The students were great and I really hope that I’ll be able teach them again in upcoming courses. One of the funniest moments came towards the end of my time there. We were listing wild animals and hippopotamus was in their picture dictionary. Picture eight Albanian ten year olds attempting to say this word. They were saying hippopatamatmus, and hipponapotatmus. And all sorts of other variations. It was hysterical. I almost didn’t want to tell them that they could just say hippo because them trying to say the whole word was so funny.
It was also fun when my parents came to the class. The day before the kids were talking up a storm about what they would say to them and the questions they would ask them. Fast forward to my parents walking in the door. The kids got looks of terror and would barely say a word. I forget how comfortable they have become with me. It was making me laugh, but I kept trying to get them to say something so my parents didn’t think I taught a bunch of zombies. Oh well. Maybe they will be less scared with the next American they meet.
With the end of summer courses comes the end of summer. Albanian summers are very relaxing. Generally people take the month of August off and relax and go to the beach. So to fit in. I joined them and headed to the beach. It was a great time of relaxing and hanging out with my new friends. I will definitely go down to the beach more times for coffees and lunches, but it is cooling down so the days of laying by the sea are probably over until next summer.

1 comment:

grandma said...

Maybe it was dad's bald head that terrified them!