May 13, 2007

Speaking in a Silent Way.

I still haven't been able to get pics on my blog so I'm trying to send some stuff via email. Things have been going really well here. I'm more than half way done my training time which is good. I've lived in Albania for 2 months. I can't even believe it. The next few weeks should be interesting. I have one more week of regular classes and then I go to Tirana (the capitol) for a conference and then I head to my permanant site for a week to meet people and check it out. Of course, I'm really curious and can't wait for that part to get here.
The weather is really starting to heat up. It's now in the upper 80's I think. I'm not actually sure. Yesterday, a friend came out to my town and we went on this hike. First of all, i was in charge of finding our way. As many of you know, you should not trust me to be in charge of something involving directions. So we started up the hill. We backtracked three times because we got to dead ends in the road. Then we finally ended up at this spot where we had to cross a canal across a rusted out pipe. We actually did attempt to do this, but the pipe was so burning hot that we couldn't touch the pipe. Plus the water under the canal was so disgustingly dirty.. it would not have been cool to fall in. So then we were going to have to seriously backtrack to get across the canal. when a guy came out of his house and had the tightest shorts on I've ever seen on a guy or a girl. He took us through his backyard to a bridge. It was a silly moment and we cracked up laughing. So then we continue up the hill. Again. I have no sense of direction. We got lost again and three little boys helped us find the right sheep path. We finally thought that we would be able to find our way so we tell the three little boys to go home and then got lost again. At this point, we start jumping over these sheep fences which are made out of brambles. We did finally make it to an abondened miliatry base and got chased by a bat. My legs were bleeding in 8 different spots from all of the brambeles.
Advice...Don't ever go on a hike when I'm in charge. We did have a ton of fun, but my legs definitly suffered. And to be honest, I have led much scarier hikes. I'm surprised I still have friends after my Granadan hike.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We love you and miss you! Can't wait to see you again.

You have to see my new Garmin. It is just what you need. Tells you when to turn left and right.

Love, Dad