May 07, 2007

The Ring

I still can't upload pictures. Maybe it is the computer or maybe it is operator error. who knows.

Right now, I'm in the middle of practicum and I have started to teach a few classes in the school here which has been an experience. It's really good practice. The kids give me flowers everyday so I'm constantly carrying around roses, callalillies, and other flowers. The guys always laugh at us and our flowers.

Last weekend, I went to another town and saw a culturla presentation with singing and children dancing. It was pretty cool. We also ate by the river at a cafe. It was a good break after the busy last couple of weeks.

In terms of cross cultural communication. My host mom came upstairs one morning and knocked on my door. What I thought she said was that breakfast was ready downstairs and that I could go eat it whenever I wanted. So I waited another 30 minutes and then headed down. The kitchen was completely filled with smoke. Apparently, she had left the eggs on the stove for me and I was supposed to take them off the stove when I came down. They were burned so bad that I had to throw the whole pan away. Incidentally, three perogies burnt to a crisp look a lot like three eggs burnt to a crisp. Just in case you were wondering.