June 03, 2007

Kavaje

So I'm at my site, Kavaje. It's a lot different than Kuqan. Kuqan was a tiny little town outside of a pretty big city. This is a small city. I've been slowly exploring the city. Because I have no sense of direction, I have this plan. I see things that I haven't been too before when I'm in the car and then I try to concentrate on the way there and then replicate it. So far, I've found a church, the stadium, and a hospital. So I think my method is a success. I'll be staying here for a week than heading back to Kuqan for a few weeks and then heading back here to stay for 2 years. I will be living 5 kilometers from the Adriatic Sea and it is really really nice. I live very close to the center of the city so I can walk to a park, the school, and a whole bunch of cafes from my house.
I have a new host family here and will be staying with her for a few months. I hope that it is as wonderful as my first host family experience. They were really wonderful people. The last couple of days were the counterpart conference. At the end of the conference, everyone in my language group got together and did a song and dance routine that one of our guys wrote. It was really funny. As most of you know, I can't sing or dance so it was a funny experience. I think that there are videos that exist, but I don't intend on ever watching it because I'm sure I'd be embarrassed.
I've been to the school to observe lessons and the students are really great. My counterpart and I are beginning to work on my plan for the summer. I will probably teach a few courses which will be nice practice for me and hopefully help some of the students who are in the middle of the pack. It's a lot different at my site because I'm the only volunteer. It's still a bit nerve wracking to walk into the Post Office and attempt to get something accomplished, but I've been lucky and have somehow been able to communicate. Although sometimes, I wished I had prepped myself by looking up a few key phrases. Like when I went to the post office and forgot how to say send. It's a simple word, but its important at the post office.

No comments: