June 18, 2007

Mire

So I now officially moved to my permanent site Kavaje. It is a welcome change. Although I met a lot of great people and had a lot of great experiences during Training, I was ready to be done with the training. I'm just getting settled here trying to unpack all of my bags. My stuff seems to have grown and grown. I can't explain it but my new host mom did ask me how I got all of this stuff on the plane. A lot of it is from the PC. I now have a huge water filter and a small library full of manuals. It's good to have it all, but it takes up a lot of space.

I swore in last Wednesday. It was a cool experience. There were a bunch of Albanian and American people there and it was a good ceremony. So now I'm a real volunteer not just a trainee. The swearing in came a few days after Bush's visit to Albania so it was quite a week for American/Albanian excitement.

Bush's visit was interesting. The entire day the news was devoted only to his whereabouts. They named a road in Tirane after him, there were commercials detailing his life, and everywhere you went people were talking about it (and I wasn't even in Tirane.) Also a few volunteers actually got to go and meet him which was a great experience for them. I think that it is good that he came here. It was interesting to see a visit from their perspective (a small country) being visited by the leader one of the largest countries. It was interesting.

Everyone seems to love the pictures so I will keep them coming.

No comments: