April 29, 2007

The Quest for American Coffee (Part 1)

I'm begging you all too click on the link that says Katie and Ryan (or maybe it says the Enns) I'm not 100 percent sure. It has so many cute pictures of my new nephew. I love him so much even it is only through photos.

So apparently no one but Americans like American coffee. They have no love for a big mug/styrofoam cup of steaming hot coffee. Here in Albania I get only espreso and Turkish coffee. So I am on a quest. A quest for American coffee. don't get me wrong. I like espressos. I drink them every day. I like Turkish coffee. I drink it every day. I can even make a mean cup of Turkish coffee. If you come to Albania, I'll brew you one. But I can't get american coffee out of my head. It's the only thing (other than family and friends) that I miss right now.

So far i my quest I've attempted to explain to a waitress who had nescafe in the kitchen how to make it. That was less than successful. She didn't have enough so she put it in an espresso cup and it ended up being even stronger than espresso. next time, we left it up to the waitress to figure out and ordered a nescafe. They used cappucino nescafe so it came out really sugary with cream. And if anyone has seen me drink coffee I really don't like sugar in it. Yesterday in Elbasan (attempt 3) resulted in a can of nescafe iced coffee. Although it was tasty it was not meeting my crazy craving. Finally, we decided to walk about 20 minutes across town to the American bakery. I haven't been to the american bakery becaue I'm not to into baked goods, but they have filtered coffee. So after 20 minutes, we arrived and guess what... It was closed because they had a catering event. Sigh.... My quest continues.

So next time you sit down to a big mug of coffee. take a sip for me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can appreciate missing the coffee. After 9 months, I could use some. Something about drinking decaf that just isn't quite the same! Bennett sends his greetings Aunt Denise! We all love you and miss you!

Greg and Carla said...

sipping my coffee right now and wishing you were here. miss you. love you. thanks for writing so much and telling us of all your adventures!!

Unknown said...

about makes me want to go out and get cup #5. Miss you and Bennett sends his love...he too has not had coffee for 9 months!