April 06, 2007

Let us think in the imagination of our minds

So many people are asking me about What it is like here. it's a difficult question to answer so I'll do a Day in the Life of Denise.

I wake up at 6:30 and usually take a shower. Then I have a hard boiled egg, a banana, and boiled milk for breakfast. I'm getting used to the egg still. Can't say I ate many of those in the states. Then I head to class for 5 hours or so of language training. This part is pretty intense. It's not that it is very hard, but we move really fast. One day we learn present tense, the next day future. But the teachers are great and my language group is super chill. We laugh a lot.

During language class, we have a break where two of us coffee addicts dash to the cafe for an espresso. Espresso's are 40 cents so they are almost as cheap as the coffee from upstairs. I've drank more espressos in the last two weeks then I ever have in my entire life. I'm averaging 3 a day.

After class is lunch. This could be a toasted sandwhich, rice pilaf, fried potatoes, or salad. It's all pretty cool. The rest of the day might be other kinds of training or could be community project work. I walk back to the host families house around 5 and sit around and drink turkish coffee and talk to my host mom and her friends. This stretches my language ability, but is really fun. Then I do lots of homework. They give us tons of stuff to do so it fills the day. We eat dinner at around 9. Yup I said 9. Then I chit chat more and head to bed. It's a busy life and a lot of fun.

The town is surrounded these awesome hills/mountains that we hike up when we get a free few minutes. The main focus of the first few months is the language. That's pretty much what goes down. It's actually a lot more fun/challenging then it might sound.

2 comments:

patsy said...

So glad to hear that you are doing well. It is fun to hear what you are doing. We miss you! Have a happy Easter! Love, Mom

Unknown said...

Sounds hard, but fun! How did the meal go? I want an update on you making food from scratch!!