April 15, 2007

The South

So I just got back from my southern adventure. It was awesome. At some point, I'm going to figure out how to post pictures because I think that that would be the best way to describe it.

I went down for a volunteer visit to see how people live after this crazy training. We stopped in at Girokaster on the way down and had lunch with some people at this very nice restauraunt on the top of a hill. Girokaster is a UNESCO site and has a 13th century castle. It's also built on this crazy steep hill. You have to climb almost straight up and there are cars driving beside you. It's really nice there. We didn't have time to go to the castle, just see it from afar so I will have to return there.

Then I went to another town farther south. It's a really tiny town about 45 minutes north of greece. That's were I stayed. The next morning we went to Sarande which is a city on the beach. You can see the Greek island of Corfu from there. The volunteers life is tough! It was a great trip to see some neat things and it was really nice to talk to some current volunteers and hopefully learn from their experiences.

I still do not know where I will be permanantly, but I should find out soon. It's a bit nerve wracking because it takes a very long time to travel to certain places so I have no idea if I will be anywhere near the people who I'm the closest to. Cross your fingers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good to hear from you! Raining like crazy here. what are the temperatures there?

Unknown said...

We are praying for a southern location so when we come visit we can go to Greece too!!

No baby yet by the way!